21 January 2015

Did You Hear? – Blessing and Cursing

Greetings Dear Reader,

Let me first say that I am not going to offer any partisan opinions here.  My point is to discuss an issue regarding all politicians and not to take sides in any debate. 

As long as there has been government there have been both good and bad politicians.  In his novel, Men at Arms, Terry Pratchett’s character Carrot makes mention that “policeman” comes from “Polis” and “Man”.  He insists that a policeman is a “Man of the City.”  The Patrician of the city, Vetinari asks Carrot if he knows the origin of the word “politician”. 

A politician is literally a citizen that serves the city.  There are those, however, who would deconstruct the word “politic” to be “Poly” and “tic” or many blood suckers.  Whilst I find that humorous but it also points to an abuse that is too easy to employ.  We constantly gossip about and slander political figures with whom we disagree. 

We are commanded to respect and pray for those who are our leadership.  We are told clearly that God sets up and deposes rulers.  When challenged on taxes Jesus insisted that we “render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s”.  Paul requires us to respect those who rule over us even when they are dead wrong.

It does not matter which side of the isle you occupy.  It makes no difference how you feel about an issue.  We are not allowed to spew hatred and epithets about anyone in public office.  We required are to love them.  The person who is corrupt or stands for all the things we hate is still someone that God commands us to love.

We seem to have lost the ability in our culture to hold civil discourse over civil issues.  We hurl insults and indulge in dishonorable speculation.  We hate people we do not even know.  We deny people the opportunity to be heard and instead shout them down.  Someone I love dearly has done this to me over a political figure.  Instead of listening and hearing what I had to say he hurled insults at the political figure and at me.  He has no idea the damage it does.

I am required to be respectful no matter how I feel.  I am not allowed to hate anyone regardless of his or her political stance.  I must be involved and do my part as a member of this society.  I must always do so with love and respect.  I must disagree with deference to office and position.  I must follow Christ in every word I speak in this arena.

Jesus’ brother James weighed in on speech.  He said that as Christ followers we are not allowed to have blessing and cursing issue from the same mouth.  As with any other area, I must conduct myself first as a Christ follower and then as a proponent of an issue or supporter of a politician.  I must assure that my Christ centered conduct governs my political speech.  Otherwise I am bound to utter words that are unkind and unloving.  No matter how clever or well-crafted those words are I become just another banging gong when the words lack love..

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment