23 January 2015

Did You Hear? – Oh he is so Guilty

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that I am about to hit a hornets nest with a stick.  I am, however, inclined to swing away.  It has gotten me in a great deal of trouble over the years.  I think that our involvement in legal matters and gossip about them is akin to our fascination with celebrities. 

It seems to me that we immediately form an opinion on crimes in the news.  We decide if someone is guilty or not.  We judge and condemn without access to all the evidence and facts.  Sometimes we even riot.

It is never allowable for me to pass judgment on someone I do not know.  If the legal system asks me to serve as a juror I have to give my very best.  I have to listen, discern, and humbly cast a vote. 

The choice to say that juries are wrong and to react violently to that is a product of gossip and speculation to which I have not right.  The further choice to act out based on the gossip is heinous. 

It really is this simple:  If I were the accused and putting my fate in the hands of twelve fellow citizens, would I not want everyone to accept the decision of my innocence?  If I am not guilty should the judgment of the court not be the end of it?  I know that I want the trial to send the message. 

That is not what we do though.  Instead we second guess the people privy to all the evidence.  We march, shout, and rally.  We replace the facts with political position and speculation.   We make the issue about race or social status instead criminal behaviour.  We judge someone based on the extra baggage we want their case to carry for us. 

I submit that none of want to be on the negative end of that scenario.  We are comfortable, however, to do it to others.  It seems to me that Christ was very clear that we are to do to others what we wish done to us.  That alone is enough for me to stop speculating and gossiping about high profile criminal cases. 

There is another piece of this that is vital for me.  No matter what the crime or situation is, every moment I am talking slanderously about someone involved I am failing to love and pray for them.  Once again, when I am in trouble I want love and prayer.  Once again, how do I dare not give the same to those accused? 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment