06 January 2015

Opening the Year – Twelfth Night

Greetings Dear Reader,

After today I will not likely mention Christmas for a bit.  It is not that I will not ponder and embrace it. It is that I have other things about which I must write.  Today, however, is one of those holy days that I would celebrate properly had I the wherewithal to do so.

No one knows what day the Magi visited the family in Bethlehem.  It is also hidden to history the length of the visit and when the holy family departed for Egypt.  What is known is that star led wizards thought the portents strong enough to undertake a perilous journey.  They thought it significant enough to bring valuable gifts.

I consider the few words recorded about them.  Their question to the priests and rulers in Jerusalem is significant.  “Where is he that is born King of the Jews?”  They knew he was king.  They knew he was born or about to be born. 

Furthermore, they stated that they were come to worship this King.  They brought the gifts they had for a King.  They were going to worship him as a God.  We need to remember that they were not only intelligent men.  We need to keep in mind that they were influential and powerful. 

Already the Christmas babe is worthy of worship. He is already King of the Jews.  He is already becoming the things that Isiah wrote about him.  He already is the God Man who will redeem us all.

I live my life around the liturgical calendar.  I do not venerate the saints or most of their feasts.  I do follow the thread of Christ through the year.  I see each cycle as a spiral in the universal dance.  We spin around the sun from solstice to solstice.  Each evening from December to December I ponder that we are a minuet closer to the time when the King calls his children home to celebrate the Son eternally.

As we draw closer to the end of the journey home I identify with the Magi.  I long to find him and present him with great gifts worthy of his station.  I yearn to have him look at me and know that I have celebrated him every day by being good to others.  I desire to present him with a lifetime of moments that evidence that there is always time for another Christmas song.

Another Christmas Song – Ian Anderson

Hope everybody's ringing on their own bell, this fine morning.
Hope everyone's connected to that long distance phone.
Old man, he's a mountain.
Old man, he's an island.
Old man, he's a-waking says
"I'm going to call, call all my children home."

Hope everybody's dancing to their own drum this fine morning ---
The beat of distant Africa or a Polish factory town.
Old man, he's calling for his supper.
He's calling for his whisky.
Calling for his sons and daughters, yeah ---
Calling, calling all his children round.

Sharp ears are tuned in to the drones and chanters warming.
Mist blowing round some headland, somewhere in your memory.
Everyone is from somewhere ---
Even if you've never been there.
So take a minute to remember the part of you
that might be the old man calling me.

How many wars you're fighting out there, this Christmas morning?
Maybe it's always time for another Christmas song.
Old man he's asleep now.
He's got appointments to keep now.
Dreaming of his sons and daughters, and proving ---
Proving that the blood is strong.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Val Golden6/1/15 11:57

    I love this particular post. It so clearly represents your love for Jesus and your desire to live a life worthy of Him. I am including a link to a song that has become a favorite of mine that I think fits with your subject today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYe9sWYKdo

    ReplyDelete