11 May 2015

Commitment - Integrity

Greetings Dear Reader,

Integrity is one of those things you either possess or you do not.  If we do not do what we commit to do then we do not have integrity.  Integrity signifies that something is whole.  If we do not keep our commitments we are not whole.

The damage done when we break a commitment may not be obvious at first.  Still it creates fissures in our being that multiply.  We lose the trust of those impacted by our failure.  Breaking one commitment makes easier to break another.  Eventually it can become part of our character. 

That we are known as habitually late or that we cancel things at the last minute should be something we abhor.  We must not treat any commitment as mundane.  If we think that we may need to change our plans we must not commit.  If we commit we need to realize that we have given our time, efforts, or availability to someone else.

I have become much more careful about the commitments I make.  I try to recognize when things are outside of my control and not commit to things I cannot control.  I cannot change the times in the past that I have not had integrity.  I can be integral today.

It seems that like so many other things, following Christ in the moment means having integrity in the moment.  We can make a habit of being honest.  We can make it our nature to keep our commitments.  We have to do so by doing it in the moment every moment.

Making a commitment means I choose to have integrity in future moments.  It is giving my assurance that I will do a thing in the future.  When I break a commitment I create fissures in my integrity.  It is only through keeping my word that those fissures can heal.  

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment