22 May 2015

Love Your Enemies – Tax Collectors

Greetings Dear Reader,

People who do not know me assume that my politics are very liberal.  People who know my faith assume that my politics are conservative.  As with so many things the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

No matter where you land on the blue to purple to red spectrum I think we can agree that there are people who truly hate the opposition.  I do not mean that they mutter and complain about policies and positions.  I mean the ones who will be visceral and angry about a candidate or elected official.

I will not presume to speak for those who do not follow my faith.  I will call into account those who do.  Political opponents are not our enemies.  They may oppose things we believe in and may be socially different from us.  They may even do heinous things that are clearly wrong.   They are not our enemy.

Elected officials are not our enemy.  Even if we hate everything for which they stand we have an obligation to them.  We are to respect their office.  We are to love them.  We are commanded to pray for them.  No matter what you think of the president, governor, senator, or mayor the obligation is the same.

I am required to love and pray for all my political leaders.  I can work to oust them if I feel they are wrong.  I can vote and speak out for things I believe in.  I am not allowed to malign, curse, or hate them.  I am not allowed to hate those who support them.

Everything about following Christ gets challenged in the political arena.  There are those who hate God and his followers in our government.  We are overtaxed and underserved.  The truth, however, is that I must love them.  I must be accountable to them.  I must pray for them. 

By the time I do all that there is not room left for hate.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment