13 May 2015

Overnight Fishing

Greetings Dear Reader,

Every now and then a memory surfaces from the depths of my mind.  It arrives full blown with sounds and smells of an event from long ago.   When I was in year eight my dad and some of his friends planned an overnight fishing trip.

To my surprise and delight he invited me to come along.  The plan was new to me and yet very interesting.  We went to one of his friend’s lake house.  We had a dinner of hot dogs, fried chicken and biscuits.  There was Coke for me and ample beer for the adults. 

Once the sun set they suspended a bare light bulb off the dock over the water.  It was clamped to a tying post that was part of the dock.  The intent was that the light would draw minnows in the early hours and then larger fish would come in to feed on those minnows.

Dad intended to catch some of the minnows when they began to swim around the light.  We would use them for bait.  The plan seemed brilliant and simple.  The other part of the plan was for me to sleep and the guys to stay up all night fishing and drinking.  I spent the early part of the evening trying to catch a monstrous Carp that haunted the shallows between the back of the dock and the shore.

I slept for a spell after I lost interest in the Carp.  Dad awakened me when the minnows began to circle the light.  The image was amazing as hundreds of silver flashes swam in a tight circle under the light.  My dad used a trash can to scoop dozens of them and some water for our bait.  We caught several large Bass that sought the minnows on our hooks

The significance of that time over forty years ago was my fascination with how the minnows were drawn to the light.  I was only two weeks away from the encounter that would lead me to faith in Christ and following him.  I did not realize that I too was being drawn to the light. 

Jesus said that when he was lifted up he would draw all men to himself.  He is the light of the world.  As I am drawn to the light I can reflect that light and draw others with me.  I must follow the light that draws me.  It is how I am made.

Light of the World – Michael Card    

You are the Light of the World oh Lord
You make Your servants shine
So how could there be any darkness in me
If You are the Light of the World
You are the Light of the World

You are the Bread of Life oh Lord
Broken to set us free
So how could there be any hunger in me
If You are the Bread of Life
You are the Bread of Life

You've overcome the world oh Lord
And given us victory
So how could I fear when trouble is near
If You've overcome the world
You've overcome the world

Wipe every tear away oh Lord
And teach us the song of the Lamb
The promise is true but it's still up to You
To wipe every tear away
Wipe every tear away
Wipe every tear away

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


No comments:

Post a Comment