27 October 2008

Advent Conspiracy

Greeteings Dear Readers,

I am passionate about Christmas. I always have been. My children actually call me Captain Christmas. My church and many across the world are involved in an event called the Advent Conspiracy (http://www.adventconspiracy.org/). It has become a great focus for practices I have held for years in order to point the traditions of Christmas back to Christ. Nothing matters about this season if Christ is not honored, hearalded, and heard.

The noise of shopping, getting, materialism, and debauchery drown out the message that the living God wants to redeem the paradise that we have destroyed. He desires this so much that he would rather die than live without us. To this end he "became flesh and dwelt among us." We call that the Advent of Christ. We celebrate it with the Celebration of Christ or "Christ Mass."

I have posted some of the practices that highlight our Christmas season. I will post others as the celebration of the Advent approaches. Here is the post and a link to my Church's site for participation.

http://adventconspiracy.wordpress.com/

Practical Practices are the only way for this to work. I will share a couple that our family practices in hope that it will encourage you.

We have a family tradition that for the money we spend on Christmas gifts we set aside matching funds for those in need. The week before Christmas we gather around a Salvation Army Kettle at a busy shopping location. (on a side note, they always need bell ringers. We take four or five two hour shifts each Christmas season to ring bells, sing carols, and help people have their needs met. You can sign up at www.ringbells.org.)

When we meet at the kettle I have already turned the money in $5 bills and divided them evenly between the gathered family. We take turns putting bills into the kettle and expressing out loud something for which we are thankful. It is such joy to watch the excitement of our children build as the bills disappear into the kettle.

A personal habit of mine is to sing Christmas hymns out loud as I shop. Most of the time people stop and listen, join in, or make positive comments. Cashiers listen as they ring up my purchases and they are cheered. I always sing songs that worship Christ and promote the true purpose of the advent of Christ. Most of all it keeps me focused on why I am in the world; to spread the light that is Christ and do my bit to help restore men to God.

Try it out.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment