01 October 2008

Is Our Cup Ever Empty?

Greetings Beloved Readers,


As I toil through some unwelcome changes in my life I find myself pondering the vastness of God's grace. We are created to do good works. We are built for the purpose of doing what is right. When others who claim to be Christ followers do what is wrong and it impacts us; what then should be our response. I have spent several months trying to get someone to do right by me. That is foolishness and a waste of my God-given time.


I have felt empty and allowed myself to be blind to the constant grace God was pouring on me. I cannot make anyone do anything. I cannot fill up anyone else but I can let my fullness in Christ spill over onto others. The other day Maxim and I were having breakfast and he reminded me just how much he and his brother Bezel love me (for the unaware, these are my sons). I have failed them both greatly in not letting them know just how much of my burden they ease. I have not connected to them in Christ enough to let them see their value in my life. I did all this because I was too focused on controlling that which is not in my control.


I have also realized that I was feeling that my cup was empty. At that same breakfast I took this photo:


The diner where we have breakfast is one of the best in the world. Everyone there knows us by name and the staff keeps your coffee cup full no matter how fast you drink. I habitually turn my cup on its side when I am full up so as not to waste their coffee. While it is good thing there, it is wrong when I do it to God. Like a cosmic waitress He is there constantly wanting to warm me up with His love and grace. Sometimes I turn my cup on its side to tell Him without words that I have had enough of Him for now. Doing this keeps me from being filled in a way that allows His love and grace to spill out of me and onto others.


Bezel and Maxim, I apologize to you publicly. You are the finest sons a man could want. My cup is upright and hopefully it will soon overflow again. To the rest of the world, if you see me tipping my cup over feel free to set it aright. I am far more thirsty than I realize sometimes.


Wishing you joy in the journey,


Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/10/08 16:51

    Father...
    Your cup will never be empty for Christ is never ending. I *Christmas* am proud of you for relising your faults and acting Christ like in every way to right them. You are wise and well in Christ, always remember that, and thankyou for folling Christ.
    remember Christ always knows what is happening, even when we do not

    I love you
    your christmas

    ReplyDelete