01 October 2008

Stepping on Toes or Stepping on Heels

Greetings Dear Readers,

Some time ago I wrote about the difference between being a Christian and being a Christ Follower. You can read that post here if you wish, http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/2007/06/do-not-call-me-christian.html

In the current political season we are hearing a great deal about the place of Christ in government and debates deal with issues such as same sex marriage and abortion rights. As a Christ Follower I think that we lose our focus during these times. We become so embroiled in the arguments over hot political issues that we forget to focus on Christ in the political process.

I recently had a discussion with one of my teaching colleagues in which he were shocked to learn that I was a Christ Follower but held political views similar to his. When pressed on certain issues his anger was aroused that I believed that same sex marriages are not a good thing and that abortion is wrong. A truth dawn on me as a marshaled arguments for my position in my mind. I had a choice. I could argue my point, and perhaps win, but was it right for me to argue my position in these issues? Would that be Following Christ.

As my friend continued to heatedly make his points about a woman's right and ethics in a given situation, I realized I had a choice. I had excellent arguments against what was being said, but I also saw an opportunity. My primary obligation to this friend was to connect him to Christ in any way possible. Instead of arguing the issues of abortion I chose to be kind and gentle.

My answer on the issue of abortion was just this; It is the responsibility of Christ Followers to care for those in need socially. How can we dare ask a woman not to abort her child if we will not make keeping the child the most supportive and loving environment to be found on earth. Instead of protesting outside of clinics, why are we not providing care for the mother and child to term and beyond if necessary. We could release the resources to provide medical care, education, counseling, adoption services, and child rearing training. We could show the love of Christ in such a way that any choice other than keeping the child seems absurd.

My point is that we need to follow Christ more closely so as to not step on as many toes. Do not get me wrong, following Christ will lead to some serious toe-stepping, but not the argumentative and unkind flavor that permeates the current religious climate in America. Perhaps a more light hearted example will illustrate my point.

My daughter, Christmas likes to walk very close behind me when we are out and about. She very often steps on the back of my shoe. Her past, before she came to live in our home, taught her that this was reason enough to receive a beating or punishment. The first few times it happened she shrank back in fear, not knowing how I would react. One day, in a moment of what can only be true Divine inspiration, I came upon an answer that would relieve her fear.
The next time she stepped on the back of my shoe, I turned and thanked her. She looked very puzzled so I explained. I told her that every time she did that I was reminded of how closely I wished her to follow Christ. That from now on when she stepped on my shoe, I would view it as a reminder of how closely we should all follow Christ. This little thing has done much to assure her of her place in Christ and in our family. It has done much for me as well.

You see, I must also follow Christ so closely that sometimes I step on the back of his sandal. The simple choice is to this or always be stepping on the toes of those to whom I am supposed to represent Christ. I have done a lot of toe stepping over the years. I am going to try much harder to step on Christ's heels instead. I do not think he will mind.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/10/08 15:34

    Aramis,
    Your words ring so true and they are words I will try and follow with all my heart...
    thank you for helping your daughter with her fear, I am pleased how on things Christ can turn in to so many good things and learning experiances.
    Warm winds
    and hang in there

    ReplyDelete