13 October 2008

Results in Time

The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours. Charles Babbage -

Greetings Beloved Readers,

It has been so long since I wound a watch I wonder how many of those younger than me ever have. We do so many things as we prepare for the day but we seldom have to wind watches any longer. Like watch winding though, so many things can yield a greater return to our day.

If I exercise for half and hour, I due my body systems great good for the entire day. If I eat a good breakfast it sustains me through the morning. Both of these activities, repeated over many days will sustain me well throughout the years. Another activity; however, can sustain me for much longer.

Every morning I take a few minutes, 15-20, to read my Bible and pray. I listen to what God has to say to me and give myself back to him for the day. There is no special trick or method. I just listen and talk. I try to maintain the conversation throughout the day, applying what I have read to the ripples and waves of my existence. When I have read about being kind, I take extra care to be good to vendors at the gas station or grocery store. If I read about patience, I extend it to my students and family. The point is that this simple act, if acted upon can yield kindness and grace injected into the lives of others every day.

I no longer wind a watch, but this daily time with God; a very small investment, yields great results that can ripple into not only my day, but the day and eternity of others as well. You do not need to take my word for it. You are free to try it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment