06 December 2010

25 Ways to Give – December 6th

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

My record is four. It is a record I hope every year to surpass at Christmas time. When I shop at a particular store I cannot help but use a trolley (shopping cart). My Sons often tease me about this but it is the truth. I do my best to bring one in from the parking lot, but there is always someone there to give me one if I do not.

I do not always need a trolley when I am shopping but I do always want one. Fortunately this turns out to be an opportunity to give. You see very often I encounter people who are cart-less and carrying more than is manageable without one. It is such an easy thing to give them mine and go get another one.

The problem in doing this is doing in secret. Once is easy to get away with. I can wait until the shopping cart ladies at the front of the store are busy with a customer return or a false security tag alarm. I can slip quietly back up and get a new cart. I have never gotten away with more than twice. They all know me by name and so ask me, in very motherly tones, “What did you do with the cart you had?”

When I tell them that I gave it to an over burdened customer I am embarrassed and they add to that by telling me how nice I am. It is not that I mind being thought of as nice but it means I got caught.

As you shop, consider the burdens of others. Even if you already have an item in your cart, you can carry it back and get another one. Giving your trolley to someone who is overburdened is an ideal way to share the spirit of the season in a gift of opportunity. Just be sure to be sneaky when you get a new one.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment