07 December 2010

25 Ways to Give – December 7th

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

I mentioned Bell Ringing earlier in our journey. It is not the focus of this way to give but it is an example. Each time I bell ring I find it curious that there are those who as they walk by tell me what other charity they support. Even more curious are those who pull a huge roll or wad of cash from their pocket and put a penny in the kettle.

I know that I have more than I need. I know that God has blessed me richly in many areas. What I do not understand is how we, as a society tolerate allowing fellow citizens and more so, fellow humans to be homeless or hungry.

There are so many ways to give aid to those who are in need. As the temperature dips into single digits, I am so thankful for all that I have. Beyond that I am obligated to give generously for the needs of others. I am to find myself ending the year richer in my care of mankind. If God gave his very best, Jesus for us, then we are obligated to give our very best to each other. I am asking you to be generous. Do not give until it hurts. Give until you feel the joy of giving. Never give out of guilt. Always give from the heart. Be generous.

Through long December nights we talk in words of rain or snow
While you, through chattering teeth, reply and curse as you go.
Why not spare a thought this day for those who have no flame
to warm their bones at Christmas time?
Say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

Now, as the last broad oak leaf falls, we beg, consider this:
There’s some who have no coin to save for turkey, wine or gifts.
No children’s laughter round the fire, no family left to know.
So lend a warm and helping hand –
Say Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow.

As holly pricks and ivy clings,
your fate is none too clear.
The Lord may find you wanting; let your good fortune disappear.
All homely comforts blown away and all that’s left to show
Is to share your joy at Christmas time
With Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow. – Ian Anderson

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, “That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store.”

No comments:

Post a Comment