09 December 2010

25 Ways to Give – December 9th

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

As much as I try to walk through life being good to others, I am fallen and I fail. There are those who dislike me, are offended by who I am, or who my own selfishness has harmed. It is my obligation to make peace with others. Making peace is part of the global redemption process. I have chosen to work very hard to be peaceful with someone who I know dislikes me.

This individual sees me as a religious fanatic and sees all kindness from me as a form of manipulation to get him to “convert.” This of course makes me more determined to be nice to him. My Grandfather used to quote a poem by Edwin Markham all the time.

He drew a circle that shut me out —
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in. - Edwin Markham

Imagine the impact if during Christmas or throughout the year we took this attitude toward all of those who see us as an enemy. The challenge for today is to give peace to someone. Here are some practical things you can do to establish peace with someone with whom there are walls or even war.

Point out something positive about them or their work
Show an interest in something they like to do
Side with them on an issue where you both agree
Set aside your own pride and search for compromise
Absorb the wrong and love them anyway
Make a heartfelt plea for peace between the two of you

I have been working hard for several weeks on this very thing. Just yesterday the individual met my eye and expressed his gratitude for my support on an issue. This is not a victory for me but a victory for peace and loving others at any cost. You see my motive is for him to see Christ despite my falleness and failures.

Your challenge for the day is to reach out and make peace with someone as a way to give to yourself and others.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment