12 January 2011

Fruit that is Always in Season - Part 1

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I roll through my second week back to work from the Christmas break, I find that many have already lost the wonder of the season and are hungering for spring. I do admit I have cast a thought or two toward fresh strawberries and sweet summer peaches. Although I have plentiful peaches from last summer in my freezer and my strawberries will come up soon as the soil warms, there is nothing quite like fresh ones.

I do, however, intend to spend the remainder of winter cultivating fruit. As I pondered what my spiritual self-improvement project would be for the year, it occurred to me that I have not focused on the produce that a Christ follower should produce in quite some time.

In the King James translation Paul analogy is referred to as “the Fruit of the Spirit.” I like the way it is worded in the God’s Word translation.

Gal 5:22-26 “But the spiritual nature produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There are no laws against things like that. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified their corrupt nature along with its passions and desires. If we live by our spiritual nature, then our lives need to conform to our spiritual nature. We can't allow ourselves to act arrogantly and to provoke or envy each other. “

It speaks of how the spiritual nature “produces” (hence the fruit allusion) certain things and how those things need to be evident in my life if I am following Christ. I intend to examine each of these and be as open as possible about both my weaknesses and successes in living them out practically. Hopefully I can find better ways for others to see Christ working out his redemption in my life.

So in this deep midwinter as I dream of fresh peaches and Christmases yet to come I hope to forge newer and deeper ways of living out the things that reflect my faith. As I journey through this time I hope to find some things to share that will benefit you my dear reader.


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment