06 January 2011

Resolutions or Small Disciplines

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have said that I do not make resolutions at the dawning of the year. I do examine the choices I am making on a smaller level to see where they are leading.

It occurs to me that letting things slip is a choice. Becoming lax is something usually starts small. Most things that mature and season us are disciplines that require consistent attention. Over the Christmas season I let my control of my eating slip and found that I surprised when my blood sugars got out of control, sapped my energy, and even made me a little ill. Monitoring my blood sugar and controlling my diet is a daily discipline. Moving and exercising are choices that I have to make to keep my weight down and my energy up.

There is a value to rest but rest must also be re-creative. Once I realized what I was doing to myself I took action. I did not do anything drastic but merely added back to my life the many little things that make a difference. We make the same choices daily in our following of Christ.

Every morning I choose if the little things I do to remind me that I belong to Christ are going to be carried out. When my feet hit the floor is my first thought to give the day to God to use me as he chooses? Do I spend time in conversation with my Creator over the choices I will make that day? As I write or journey to my teaching job do I ponder how I will impact others with the quality and spirit of my work?

No one jumps into following Christ with a whole heart by set his whole heart. I attempt to do it by making moment by moment choices that reflect what I really wish to become. What we do in the moment shows our true heart and focus. Who we are when it is difficult is determined by who we are becoming when it is not.

Like the many little choices that determine the health of my blood sugar, the health of my spirit rests upon the thousands of momentary choices I make in the way in which I view my home life, my relationships, and my work. It is all a sum of the choices I make from moment to moment.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment