13 August 2011

Not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;

Greetings Dear Reader,

How often I find myself in pain over something and all I can think of is who I wish was there to share my heart with me and ease my burden. It is good to share our hearts with those close to us but I must always consider another’s heart first.

I work in a world where most of the people I encounter have burdens they wish to unload the moment I am in the room. It is my responsibility to be there for them. Beyond that it is my joy. My burdens are not the concern and theirs are. I must first seek to console them; give them hope. My students take great risk in returning to school to obtain a degree. Most of them work, have families, and struggle with school.
I must be there for them. I must leave my burdens in the car or hanging on the doorpost.

Beyond that, my burdens do not belong to me. My consolation is to come from Christ. My need for comfort can be found in Christ and he longs to meet that need. Most of the selfish sins I commit are a result of my failure to live the truth that Christ has me in hand and he will care for me. At the core of it, if I focus on the comfort of others I will not need to seek to be comforted. Christ knows my needs far better than I do.

A byproduct of this is that in comforting others my burdens are lessened. As they share their troubles with me I am reminded how blessed my life is. When I focus on the burdens of others then mine seem so much less. When mine feel less then I feel freer to give consolation to others. Giving that support and succor becomes an upward spiral so that I can become increasingly more available to help others.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life. – Saint Francis of Assisi

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment