26 August 2011

Simple Summer Beauty


Greetings Dear Reader,

There are some things about the waning days of summer that bring to life the reality of all that warmth and sunshine in ways unique and beautiful.  There is a constant in my summer memory that I am sure grows sweeter as I slowly grow old.  It is any mid to late summer afternoon around my Grandfather’s dining table.  The pitcher of sweet tea is drawing the humidity from the air and pouring down rivulets of condensation onto the tea towel beneath it.  The sweating rainbow stripped pitcher promises uniquely cool relief from the dog days of August in Atlanta.

The sweet tea, though brilliant is not the star of the table.  It is the food items on simple white plates that make the mouth water and young boys on time for lunch.  On the first plate are strips of bacon left over from the morning breakfast.  The second plate hosts crisp green lettuce, torn not cut into sandwich size pieces.  The lettuce was picked just that morning and put in the fridge to chill.  On the plate next to it are evenly sliced bread sized cuts of perfectly ripe, morning picked tomatoes with condensation matching the tea pitcher on their skin.  Completing the table are lightly toasted slices of Sunbeam Bread and an open jar of Miracle Whip.  Every lunch of bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches at my Grandfather’s table was an adventure in joy and delight.

Yesterday at work I shared fresh made BLT’s for lunch with some of my coworkers.  One of them had brought in some fresh tomatoes from his garden and this inspired another to have a BLT day for lunch.  I stumbled upon the preparations and was invited to be a part of the repast.  For a brief moment I was transported back to my Grandfather’s table and I told my friends of those memories. 

More so I was reminded of how thankful my Grandfather always was for those BLT’s.  His prayer always lasted a little longer over BLT’s.  He took time to thank God for the success of his garden and the brilliance of sweet tea.  He modeled for me how important pausing to include the Father was in the proper enjoyment of things.  I thirsted for the tea and salivated for the sandwiches but my love and respect for my Grandfather was such that I listened to every word of his prayer. 

I still pray before I eat.  When I am alone or with those who do not share my faith, I do not bow my head or close my eyes to avoid making others uncomfortable.  Yesterday my heart soared to the Father as current friends and my long gone Grandfather met for a moment around the gift perfect summer sandwiches.  It was a reminder to me of just how much God loves me.  It was need and is appreciated.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment