18 October 2010

Haley’s Dust and Orion’s Elbow

Greetings Dear Reader,

Orion, won't you give me your star sign.
Orion, get up on the sky-line.
I'm high on my hill and I feel fine.
Orion, let's sip the heaven's heady wine.

Orion, light your lights:
come guard the open spaces
from the black horizon to the pillow where I lie. - Ian Anderson

As I try to prepare myself inwardly for the imminent arrival of my Grandson, I decided to make time this year to get up for the Orionid meteor shower. This morning was my first attempt to view the shower that originates from Orion’s elbow. The brilliant streaks of light that emanate from this point are bits of rock and dust left behind by Haley’s comment. My Grandson, Orion, will be 50, my current age when Haley returns to resupply the dust of his namesake’s meteor shower. I must live to see a hundred years if I am to share the experience with him.

What I did this morning was sit back and simply observe the beauty of the constellation Orion. I have an excellent view from my home and as he was clear and ready to rain down his arrows of light. The moon is waxing full and as the shower approaches its peak viewing may be difficult. This morning, however, I was not disappointed. As I sipped a hot cup of pumpkin spice coffee, I was delighted to see several brilliant streaks trace the sky as if the hunter were loosing arrows in his ever continuing hunt.

I prayed for the Son and Daughter-in-Law I love and the Grandson I have yet to hold. We will have a baby shower for him during the peak of the Orionid shower. The time will rush forward toward his debut. Until then I will watch the sky hunter and bath his journey to us in prayer. I must become as close to Christ as possible so that I may be an always positive influence for him. I must daily put away self so that this fresh soul can count on me to be real and true.

The sun is up now and Orion sleeps until it is time for him to hunt again. I will rise and watch and pray. I will sip coffee and look inwardly for things that must pass. Any of you who wish may join me in the watching. We have a few days to look and hope and dream. We have time yet to become that which best nurtures a child; following Christ and leaving ourselves behind.

The path is long until Haley returns to refill Orion’s quiver. It is possible that I can make it that far if I am careful and God allows it. The next predicted perihelion of Halley's Comet is 28 July 2061. If I am around perhaps we can have a big family reunion and all stay up late to see the comment that gives Orion his arrows. For now I will enjoy the annual meteor shower and use it to examine my journey and the ways in which it benefits my Grandson.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Dear One,
    I would love to watch the arrows spilling forth. Appx what time in the AM. I would feel that we were also sharing something in honor of Orion, grandson & great grandson, soon to be.

    Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete