06 October 2010

Who am I?

Greetings Dear Reader,

John 3:8 “The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you don't know where the wind comes from or where it's going. That's the way it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

So often we find ourselves in situations that challenge who we are or seek to further define us. We plan our day, or we do not, and it unfolds as we move through it. Rarely do our plans and the actualization of the day coincide. Rarely do we do the things that we plan and often we plan things we never do. I so often head into work expecting to accomplish certain things in my day and perform specific duties and tasks. I have learned that the best way to assure that my day will hold many interruptions and side paths is to write down a list of things I wish to do.

We propose and God disposes. I plan and God laughs. I do not mean this in any disrespectful way, but rather I am learning just how short sighted I am when I look down the path. Last night I had planned my evening. I was emotionally tired and wished only an evening of rest. I had planned to have dinner with my Daughter and get home in time for some vegetative rest. I was blessed to run into my younger Son and a dear friend at the place where we were dining. So far the evening was unfolding just as I wished it to be. Then my Daughter mentioned that some dear friends of ours were in crisis.

I will only go into enough detail to give sensibility to the next events. This family is a large one; a father and mother with many daughters who have all befriended my Daughter Christmas and share much with her. She returns the favor by helping out with the younger children when she can. They are a family who mark their love for Christ at the center of all they do. This week and for some time the father is on the road earning a living for his family. The mother is holding the home together while he works.

Today a close member of their family had a stroke. Christmas told me about it dinner. At once I was compelled to help this family. We decided to offer for my Daughter to stay overnight to help with the wee children and give the mom a break. It was just what the family needed. We rushed home from dinner so that Christmas could collect an overnight bag and I could drop her off at the family’s home. When we arrived two of the younger girls came out to greet us. I had gotten to know the three year old whilst working on the family’s internet access.

While we stood chit chatting the three year old was being both shy and coy all at once. I was introduced to the mother’s mum. The three year old says at the top of her voice, pointing toward her own mother, “that is my mom.” Always drown to young children, I pointed to her oldest sister and asked who she was. The little one said her name but was retreating toward her shyness. She also recognized my Daughter. I asked her the obvious question, “Who am I?” Without missing a single beat this innocent child spoke a single word in full voice. She looked up at me and said, “God.”

The responses all around were funny, poignant, and interesting. I knew that I was not God, but to this little girl, all innocence and wonder, she believed that I was. What that meant to her I will never understand but what I knew was that what I said next would matter. I assured her that I was not, but something dawned on me. For that family, in a very minute way I was being the face of God by delivering help in their time of need. I have no delusions of grandeur or a messiah complex. I do yearn with all my heart to reflect Christ as much as possible in all that I do. This sweet little girl’s innocent honest answer reached to the root of my soul and caused it to kneel. I never know how my plans will turn out.

The evening unfolded much differently than I planned. I knew I was doing what was right but it is becoming a natural response. If I let the Spirit of Christ drive me then I will be what I need to be in the moment. I am content to be that even if it means being humbled by a three year old who sees God in me. Three year olds are rarely wrong about these things.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment