04 October 2010

Humility and Greatness

Greetings Dear Reader,

Those of you who know me well know that I do not often see greatness in athletes, politicians, or actors. I enjoy baseball, debates, and movies but seldom attach “star quality” to individuals. Today, however, I am driven to raise up someone if just for a moment, but that is beginning to near to the end.

Journey back with me for a moment to autumn of 1985. My eldest is six months old and I am still finding my way in many areas of who I am. I am running from God although if asked I am just taking a break from the stresses of the previous years. I am trying to replace my love of God with a love of money and it is going badly. In the midst of this maelstrom lies a moment that will begin a tradition. A simple announcement is made. A man has decided to take a job in Atlanta, where I live, for the sake of his family. It is not the job he wants but it is in his field and necessary for the sake of his wife and child.

It starts me thinking that I need to consider the same things in my choices. I do not have as noble a success but some of the good I have done attaches to that moment. Later that same man gets the job he wants. It is a demotion but it is the job he is destined to do well. Over the last twenty-five years I have had nine jobs and lived in four different states. One of the constants in my own chaos has been that man in Atlanta and his work. He has benefited me in some way every year for a quarter century.

My Sons have never been cognoscente of a year when this man did not give his very best to benefit us. They will enter a new era as this man quietly moves along the path toward other pursuits. The lessons of his life are not lost on me. He knew how to stand up for what he thought was right. He knew how to take the long view. He knew how to begin with the end in mind.

My love of baseball is ingrained in my love of God, my family, and resides in a place in my soul that I cannot always understand. Yesterday was the last regular season game for Braves Manager Bobby Cox. For twenty-five years as General Manager and Manager he has given his very best to his team, his players, and his fans.

It would be easy to dismiss this writing as just a sports fan saddened by change. It is so much more than that. This man knew how to win. He always talked about winning the World Series not just about winning games. He always began with the end in mind. He knew that his family mattered more than the job he was best at doing.

An example of his understanding of excellence was the way in which he changed the Braves minor league farm system. He built excellence into the basement so that it would benefit the penthouse. He knew how to build toward the long term and that is why he has 15 seasons of 90 games won. It is why he skippered a team to fourteen consecutive pennants.

I hope the Braves win it all but that is not what matters. Baseball remembers. Bobby Cox will always be remembered as one of the great team managers. Beyond that there will be those who remember his character and consistency as a man. Thank you Mr. Cox for all you gave us. Thank you for touching the lives of my sons and for the moments we all got to cheer because of your excellence. Thank you for a lifelong example of the balance between humility and greatness that can be ours if we wish it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment