12 October 2010

Price of the Pain 2 – A response to AK part 2

I had begun to attempt a response to AK’s comment on my post “Price of the Pain.” Here is his/her original comment. I will be taking up my answer at the part where it asks… “And also, what if what you believe was wrong?”

Interesting and insightful though I do wonder about when a family member/friend tries to reconnect after an absence of your friendship. Should you welcome them with open arms in hoping they have changed for the better.. And also, what if what you believed was wrong? As in the reason and basis you withheld that friendship. I know enough that things are never as they appear to be on occasion. We use the best judgment we have but we may not always be correct. I know sometimes we have blinders on as well and see what we want to see instead of being open to their explanations.

I know there are a lot of what ifs in the world and no one circumstance is the same but I hope you can touch on this and share some insight as I know most of us have been thru it at some time or another.

Best Wishes, AK

The past couple of years have refined what I believe in so many areas that much of what I believed about dealing with people has been revisited and redefined. I believed for a long time some things I was taught by well meaning men about relationships and how they should work. In his mercy Christ has shown me how to adjust those views so that they require me to be more loving and more in tune with the needs of others. The reasons for withholding friendship or love no longer matter.

Disliking someone is an exercise in approving my own preferences or wants over those of another. If I am dealing with someone that hurts me I must again refer back to the words of Christ that I am to love others as I do myself and that whatever I do to the least of his brethren I do to him. As important is that I do not adopt these behaviors with the expectation of reciprocation. I cannot serve self and model the love that Christ has for others.

My conscience is clear that I have attempted to apply what I knew of God in time past. It is also clear that God has shown me a new depth in loving those he loves in the way he loves them. What matters is my immediate willingness to change; to alter my thinking, attitudes, and actions so that they draw in those who for some selfish reason I hold at a distance or reject outright. Doing anything less than accepting others with all my heart is an indulgence of pride, anger, and fear that distances me from my attempts to follow Christ.

No one can love God with all heart, soul, and spirit and see any other human as undeserving of kindness, gentleness, and love. I currently face three different situations where I must purposely apply this truth. They differ greatly and all require me to set aside what I think is “right” in the name of showing deference to Christ’s example. I know that I will be hurt by some of this. I know that it is easier to withhold my heart and keep my feelings safely secluded. I also know that doing so will only foster more damage and hurt. I must allow God to mold me and use me as he wishes even though the potential damage is great. After all what good is faith if I do not use it to reach out to those whom God places in my path? Thank you for your questions AK. I hope this is some help. I know pondering your comments has been for me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment