02 November 2011

The Imago Dei – In All Mankind: Innate Morality


Greetings Dear Reader,

As I move through my thinking about the image of God in all of us, I ponder one of the things that I have never been truly able to fathom to my own satisfaction.  We possess an innate morality.  We are born with a sense of right and wrong.  There is a rising body of research that can prove this, but if I am honest with my own heart I know that I know. 

I will not argue the existence of this moral compass but if it exists it points toward something other than us initiating it.  God has a complete ownership of right.  He imprints this on us so that we can see the places where we lack it.  He has instilled in me a moral compass that rarely steers me wrong if I listen to it. 

When I choose not to obey that ethereal pointer I regret it.  It leaves me without excuse for the things I do that I know better.  Whenever I have violated my moral load stone if has hurt others and caused pain.  When I listen to its direction things go well.

I realize that this is only experiential evidence but it is my evidence.  I cannot determine what is right and wrong for others but there is a baseline of what is right and wrong.  It comes from somewhere other than the collective agreement of society.  We can attempt to reason away the image of God in our morality but there is no logical reason for it if it is not imprinted on us by the manufacturer.  It is our desire to not be accountable to it that drives us to discredit it.

My moral compass shows me my need for God.  It reassures me that I am not perfect and that I have flaws.  It shows me when I am selfish and when I put my needs ahead of others.  The fact that I know I am a crooked stick in a bundle of crooked sticks is what shows me my need for God and his righteousness. 

Some say one cannot know where this sense of morality comes from.  Some claim to even be happy no knowing.  I think that this aspect of the Imago Dei is valid evidence that something beyond ourselves draws us toward his nature.  He wants us to see that we are broken and the he wishes to heal us.  It is our brokenness that pushes us to deny him and ignore the call. 

The compass is a pointer.  It is a pointer that tells me where I need to be headed.  When I feel incapable of heading that way on my own it also points me toward the source of direction and strength to get there.  Sometimes I reject the direction for my own purposes. 

When I embrace this image in me I can tell in which direction to head.  I can also tell because it pushes me to do the opposite of the selfish and self-centered.  I am created in the image of God. I am intended to reflect that image and my innate morality is intended to show me how to get there.  If followed it points me toward the only true north; Christ. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment