21 November 2011

On Giving Thanks: Cleaning House


Greetings Dear Reader,

My Daughter and I spent part of the day yesterday cleaning in preparation for our guests on Thursday.  The effort was actually fun as we worked together.  We spend the balance of the afternoon quite satisfied with the results and achieved a measure of relaxation.

As I was moving things and putting things away I thought about why I was doing it.  The rooms were not dirty but they were cluttered.  Clutter can make others uncomfortable.  I wonder if my gratitude becomes cluttered by things.  Actually, I am sure it does.  I forget that I am supposed to give thanks in everything. 

I am to take nothing for granted.  Everything I have is a gift from God.  When I fail to show real gratitude for all that I have I displace God in my life just a little more.  So I spent part of the afternoon and will spend part of each day this week “cleaning house.”  

I will examine the places where I am not grateful for what I have.  I will ponder how the ingratitude in those places masks my ability to reflect Christ.  There will be things I need to purge.  I know I have more than I need.  There will be things I need to enhance.  I know I can share more than I do.  The changes will kick up some dust.

Cleaning house is so valuable to welcoming others.  Cleaning out the things that hinder my gratitude toward Christ could prove invaluable.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment