18 November 2011

On Giving Thanks: Preparation


Greetings Dear Reader,

As I was enjoying breakfast with Christmas and Present the other morning it was decided that I was making Thanksgiving dinner.  That is not a problem but my mind went immediately to preparation.  My heart is already filled with joy at the prospect of cooking for others.  Both of my sons are likely working that day but I was planning to make food for them anyway.

All over the nation people are doing the same.  They are planning and purchasing.  They are thawing and prepping.  Homes will be filled with amazing smells.  Ovens and stove tops will be very busy.  Tables will be laden with turkey, ham, meatballs, potatoes, green beans, cranberry, and pies.  The preparation will take far more time than the eating.

I wonder though, if we spend enough time preparing our hearts and minds to be thankful.  My intent is to put thankfulness into my preparation.  My need is to assure that I visit every aspect of thankfulness.  I have so much and so many have so little.  I have peace and safety whilst I have countrymen in harm’s way. 

I know that this Thanksgiving day my mind sees but it will be the one I am given and even for that I will be thankful.  My sons will be working because they do a job that is primarily caring for the needs of others.  They earn their living assuring that others can be independent.  I am very thankful for their conscious career choices.   I am thankful for the job they do and willingly will sacrifice the time with them.

I am thankful that I have a home that can welcome others.  I am thankful that I have the means and skills to do the chopping and preparation.  I will hopefully give the same attention to my heart.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment