19 November 2011

On Giving Thanks: Thawing


Greetings Dear Reader,

As I wake up to a rainy November morning it is cold but not freezing.  The air outside smells of damp dead leaves and pushes one to think of a comfy chair, hot coffee, and a good novel (if you choose to spend the day this way I can recommend an author).  My first duty though was a cold one.

Upon awakening and before settling down to the keyboard with my tea I had to go into the chest freezer to remove the Turkey.  According to the online sites that get so much traffic this time of year it take a day of refrigerator thawing for every five pounds of turkey.  That means that this year’s bird needs four days and a bit to thaw.  Since I cook the bird very slowly overnight it means the bird need to begin unfreezing this morning.

As I was taking the turkey out my hands got quite cold.  I thought of my new gloves and then I thought about those who have no gloves or coats or warmth.  It took only moments for my hands to thaw once the turkey was in the fridge.  My mind, whilst preparing my tea turned to the thawing of other things. 

It seems sad to me that we have to thaw our thankfulness and gratitude as well.  I love that we set aside a day to give thanks.  I am sad that we have to run up to it.  Should not I be so filled with gratitude for all that I have that it is just a day more filled with it?  Should I not be so overflowing with thanks for all that God gives me that it is seen as part of who I am?

Those of you who know me know that Christmas is my big thing.  A few years ago I purposed to live with Christmas on my mind every day of the year, even in July.  Should we not be always looking for ways to express our thanks for all that we have every day as well?  I can do this.  It is a small thing to remain grateful.  It is a big thing for others to see it.  It is not good to store our gratitude in the deep freeze.  It should always be at hand; fresh, warm, and shared with everyone.     

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed you pull all that from getting the turkey out of the freezer. I love the idea of celebrating Christmas year round, I know I've wondered why we as a society are so kind in December but so mean some other months.

    ReplyDelete