23 May 2012

On Superman – Destiny


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have more than I need and am truly blessed.  There are things I want beyond what I have but I am not dissatisfied or resentful.  Again I see the man of steel as an example of where my heart is.  He had the power to have whatever he wished but chose to let them come or go as secondary to doing what was right.

It is so easy to get focused on things we desire and think we need and set aside the nobility that is part of who we can become.  I am blessed that even my secondary choices are rewarding and help others.  There are days, more of late, however, where I yearn for the life in my heart rather than the one I am living.  I know that what I desire is good but just cannot seem to get there.  That just means I need to stay put until God moves.

I know that this time of year is harder than most.  In my mind summers are still for time with my children, swimming, and baseball.  That part of me hears the call of summers gone by and weeps for them to be real again.  It is one of the things that I have lost due to my own choices and may never get back.

I possess neither the nobility nor purity of Superman but I feel his pain.  I am tempted to turn my back on the things that hinder me living the life I want rather than the one that is before me.  The problem is that I know what I would have to become to be that man.  So what measure of nobility I do possess and the grace of God keep me where I am.

Superman

Tarzan wasn't a ladies' man
He'd just come along and scoop 'em up under his arm
Like that, quick as a cat in the jungle
But Clark Kent, now there was a real gent
He would not be caught sittin' around in no
Junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing

[Chorus:]
Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him

Hey Bob, Supe had a straight job
Even though he could have smashed through any bank
In the United States, he had the strength, but he would not
Folks said his family were all dead
Their planet crumbled but Superman, he forced himself
To carry on, forget Krypton, and keep going

Tarzan was king of the jungle and Lord over all the apes
But he could hardly string together four words: "I Tarzan, You Jane."

Sometimes when Supe was stopping crimes
I'll bet that he was tempted to just quit and turn his back
On man, join Tarzan in the forest
But he stayed in the city, and kept on changing clothes
In dirty old phone booths till his work was through
And nothing to do but go on home – Crash Test Dummies


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment