30 May 2012

The Passing of a Man


Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently the man who took the time to show me who Christ is and the love he has for me reached the end of this part of the journey.  I wrote about this last week not realizing that as I was writing about his gift of love and compassion toward me on the same day that he was departing this life.

I do not think I can properly say what this man’s love and compassion did for my life.  I lost track of the man for quite some time then reconnected with him via Facebook.  He remembered me and our conversation under the stars during that Georgia spring.  We talked back and forth about my journey toward Christ and the similarity of our failings along the path.

As he slips into the mortal past what he did for me and others will live on for generations and beyond time.  So many lives were changed for the better by this man.  So many more lives are changed by the work of those he reached.  In remembering the man who changed my life I realize that story he told of his own redemption is just a link in that part of the journey.

When I do what is right to show Christ to others I honor this man.  When I do not I taint the memory of the time that he reached out to me.  There is no moment when I do not owe a debt to the man who put my hand on the latch to that door which is Christ.  The debt I owe is to live a life that does the same for others. 

My journey toward Christ began by that lake in 1974.  Almost forty years later my journey has taken my memory often to that moment in Georgia.  With the passing of the man who reached out to me I feel that I must add more to my efforts to reflect Christ to others.  I will miss the exchanges but know that the parting is not permanent.  For now I will envy where he is in the journey and hope to honor the gift he set before me so long ago.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment