22 May 2012

On Superman - Three Little Words


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have a writing plan for this week but God interrupted it yesterday with one of those moments that carries one into eternity.  I was picking up Christmas from the home of Sons and visiting with them all for a bit before the drive home.  The highlight of the visit seemed to be the dinner that my Daughter-in-law Raven had made. 

It was a new recipe for her and delicious to me.  As I sat with my eighteen month old Grandson and we were discussing Superman and cookies.  He has adopted hand in the air and hand by his side pose in pretending to fly like Superman.  When he talks he often emphasizes the last syllable of a word.  He flies like Super-MAN. 

As we sat there deep into the intricacies for Superman and chocolate cookies (pronounced cookas) I was overcome with the depth of this little man’s acceptance of me.  He looked me in the face and said “I love you.”  It is the first time he has said this to me and it changed me.

I know he loves me.  He lights up every time I arrive at his home and he interacts with me often.  We read books and play games.  We talk about his toys and his baby brother.  I know he loves me but now he said it on his own.  He had nothing to gain and no agenda. 

As I pondered this I was reminded of the first time his father and his uncle spoke these words to me when they were little.  I believe that nothing is so pure as a child voluntarily expressing love for an adult.  I was touched to the core of my being.  I awoke this morning realizing just how much this fits into my thoughts on Superman and the journey to Christ.  I think only the youngest children come close to expressing the love that Christ expresses to us. 

As I move through the day today I carry with me this new moment that I love and cherish.  It makes desire to be a better man, a better father, and a better grandfather.  It makes me determined to be more than I think or dream I can be just so that he feels as loved as I did in that moment.  It reminds me of the yearning I have to do the same for Christ; to follow him with passion and truth.

There is no kryptonite that can repel love.  Orion’s three words have encouraged and energized me in a way few things can.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment