13 September 2012

How to Follow Christ – Conversation - Horizontal


Greetings Dear Reader,

Following Christ in my conversation it tightly linked to what I say about and to others.  Yesterday I tried to talk about our vertical conversation with God as a way to follow Christ.  Christ makes it clear that what we say to others matters just as much.

My words and harm or heal.  My words can reflect my love for others or mask it.  My words will either show my commitment to Christ or do harm to his image.  I know that I have not always lived this well.  I am slowly learning that what I say does matter and how I say matters even more.

Another aspect of this is keeping silent when I should.  It is not my place to talk on and on about others.  It is wrong for me to gossip, malign, or demean anyone.  I can offer opinions on issues but must not be pejorative towards people.  I can disagree with what a politician does or says.  I cannot follow Christ and make jokes at their expense or insult their character.  Being course, dishonest, and negative are not good ways to treat others.  What I say matters and it is clear that I am accountable for every word.

It is more than what I must not do though.  I am expected to speak kindly.  I am required to speak with gentleness and to encourage.  I do not have the luxury of withholding good words if I wish to follow Christ.  I must take the risk of being good to others.  I must use kind words even when others do not.  I must see the good in others and speak to it.

To apply all of this I try to speak less.  I do not weigh in on as many things.  I do not engage in as much simple talk as I used to do.  I try to show interest in others.  I tell people when they have done well. Jesus made it clear that we would give account for every word we speak.  I have a long way to go.    

You and me we use so very many clumsy words.
The noise of what we often say is not worth being heard.
When the Father’s Wisdom wanted to communicate His love,
He spoke it in one final perfect Word.  – Michael Card – The Final Word

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment