01 September 2012

Why I Believe – Forgiveness


Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday an observation was made that I wish to agree with wholeheartedly.  The question was posed and posted: “Why is it that Christians so quickly brush off the "bad behavior" of themselves and remind everyone else that God is still loving. There is something deeply troubling about this. The claim the salvation of eternity and then write off the pain or suffering that they cause as temporary and meaningless. Worse still, there are times when Christians cause a great deal of suffering and pain and claim that it is the will of God.”

I think we do brush aside our bad behavior often.  I know that I am either much harder or too often easier I my own actions than I am on others.  Christ followers often fail to own the depth and impact of their sin.  We behave as if our ultimate forgiveness somehow mitigates the impact of our actions. 

I know that I personally feel the depth of the consequences of my failures to follow Christ over the years.  It continues to impact others and even though there is forgiveness from Christ there is no assurance that this heals the damage my actions do to others.  In fact the very idea that I feel that I am forgiven by God may be odious to people who have not forgiven me.

Take the extreme case of someone who has murdered another person.  The killer may truly see how wrong his actions are and seek the redemption and forgiveness that is in Christ.  He may even feel forgiven and somewhat relived.  This does not mean that he has been forgiven by the family of the person he murdered.  He must always be aware of what he taken from them.  Even if they do forgive him it does not heal the damage or remove the loss. 

I believe this is why Christ made it so very clear that the forgiveness of God and our forgiveness of each other is so closely related.  It is why when we wrong others we are to do what is necessary to heal and repair the situation.  It is why Jesus put it upon us to act when we realize that someone has something against us. 

Forgiveness is a bi-axis and multidirectional concept.  When I do wrong the matter is not resolved until I have the forgiveness of God and of those I have wronged.  It is my responsibility to seek the forgiveness of all who are involved.  Paradoxically but still true is the matter that I am obligated to forgive those who have wronged me.  No matter how much I am hurt, angered, or betrayed by what happens Christ insists that I forgive the one who wronged me.

I believe that this is one of the great hindrances to faith.  If I do not see my own failings, pride, and self-centeredness then I will not realize how much I need the forgiveness that Christ bought for us.  If I think that forgiveness from Christ dismisses the obligation I have to live humbly before others then I am mistaken.  If I do not acknowledge my failures as they relate to those around me I appear arrogant and unloving.  The same is true if I do not actively forgive those who wrong me.  My not forgiving others makes me hard hearted and bitter so easily.  A balance must exist between all of these in the way I think and live.

Imagine how much easier it would be to accept Christ followers, even if you did not believe if they did these things.  I know that just reviewing these concepts for this writing have reminded me of how important it is for me to keep them in mind as I deal with everyone.  I think that if I remain constantly aware of my own sinfulness when I deal with others it will work to make me more humble and much more forgiving.  That combined with the love I spoke of earlier can do much to show the true nature of God.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment