15 September 2012

How to Follow Christ – Humility


Greetings Dear Reader,

This is an eternal pursuit of anyone who wishes to follow Christ.  As my Grandfather used to always say, “The problem with humility is the moment you think you have it, you have lost it.” 

C.S. Lewis gives a great exposition on how the real monster sin in man is pride.  The only way to begin to get a handle on humility is to realize and embrace how deeply my pride runs.  The obvious actions of pride are easy to recognize and deal with for me.  It is the subtle pride that rends relationships and hinders my following Christ.

Even when I am not motivated by pride I need to be careful that what I communicate does not sound prideful.  How I communicate can be a great tell on whether pride or humility is working in me.  When pride guides my communication I am focused on being right and looking out for me.  When it is humility that guides I am concerned with the needs of others or what is right over what is wrong.

Humility keeps my desires at bay.  I want to look good mentally, physically, and socially.  I must be willing to sacrifice appearances for humility.  I must not put myself first.  I especially must not do things to make others look bad for the sake of looking good.  It is pride that causes me to slander others.  It is pride of looking witty to my peers that causes me to creatively demean those in the public spotlight.  I am free to discuss the issues but it is wrong to personally attack the celebrity or politician.

I must embrace humility in order to properly be a good father and grandfather.  I must be humble in order to be kind in my friendships.  It is a matter of constant vigilance.  If I am to follow Christ I must consider others.  I must look to their needs and count on Christ to meet mine.  I must be constantly aware of how deep the wounds of pride run in my spirit and use active pursuit of humility to heal them.

Following Christ requires that I set myself aside.  Until my last breath I must court humility.  Even thinking otherwise is vain and empty.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment