23 September 2014

New Tires

Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently my new used car required that I obtain new tires.  I do not mind this as it is a necessary part of owning dependable transportation.  I am fortunate to have a vendor for tires that is speedy and less expensive than most. 

As I was obtaining said tires I had a conversation with an elderly lady who was also in need of new tires.  She was talking about how nice it was that her tires has lasted five years and the lady at the counter still remembered her. 

The lady then began to comment on how nice it was to have new tires.  You drive away feeling the difference immediately.  Your car feels newer in some ways.  I agreed and smiled.  She then shifted gears slightly mentioning how gradually the tires lose their tread and dependability.

I realized that I had often thought about this in relation to tires.  She shifted gears again.  She explained who we do the same thing in life.  We allow bad habits to wear away at us.  We allow things that are wrong to become commonplace.  We grind away at our souls the way the road slowly grinds away at our tires.

Then to my delight she turned the conversation toward Jesus and our need for hm.  She was sharing the Gospel with me using new tires as the bridge.  I smiled at her and explained that I was a Christ follower.  I also thanked her for being brave enough to attempt to show me Jesus.

She is right about the tires and the correlation to sin.  We do allow things to wear away at our spirits without realizing how bad they are.  We let sin grind away at us without seeing our need for Christ. 

The illustration continues.  In short time my new tires were mounted and balanced.  I bid my farewells to June and thanked her for her kindness.  As I drove away from the tire place I felt the newness of the road and tire interaction.  The car responded better to curves and I sensed the improved state of things.

When I abandon sin for following Christ more closely the feeling for me is the same.  I feel more secure, dependable, and renewed.  The sin grinds away at us but Christ is always there ready to renew and restore us; restore me.

Restored – Pat Terry

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. isobutane is a monomer that can be used for rubber and tires. That is an interesting fact.

    ReplyDelete