25 September 2014

That’s not how it works – Disappointing God

Greetings Dear Reader,

Every year for over a decade it has been my joy to hold a Christmas open house for my family and friends.  I anticipate this in a way that makes me exuberant and energized.   Four or five years ago I awakened the day of the open house with a severe fever and other symptoms of the flu. 

I had to cancel the open house and spent a week feeling physically ill and emotionally disappointed.  During my recovery I pondered what I had missed.  The source of my disappointment was the lost opportunity to share time with people I love.  Lost opportunities often lead to disappointment.

I have often heard well-meaning people talk about the ways in which we disappoint God.  That’s not how it works.  If God already knows everything, which he does, then he cannot anticipate an event that does not happen.  He sees time from end to end.  There is no moment of which he is not already aware in infinite detail.

What this means is that one cannot disappoint God.  Since God already knows everything I am going to do I cannot fail to do what he expects.  Therefore, I cannot disappoint him. 

I can still do wrong.  I will still fail.  I still sin.  The joy is that God already anticipated it and has made a way for me to still move toward him.  The joy is that he is never disappointed in me.  The failure that is not mine is that of meeting his expectations.

He knows the choices I will make.  He knows my thoughts and feelings before I experience them.  He understands every decision, step, and turn or my journey.  He is never surprised and always prepared to help guide me home.  That is how it works.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous25/9/14 10:58

    That is so beautiful! I now feel so much better about the mistakes I have made and disappointing HIM.

    ReplyDelete