06 April 2016

Superman versus Batman – Our View of Evil

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have watched our view of what is evil shift over the years.  In many cases our society has aligned itself with Milton’s Satan in professing “evil be thou my good.”  Please do not think I am passing judgement on anyone.  I am not calling any individual evil.  That is not my place.  I do see some actions as inherently evil.

We will spend thousands of dollars for a few hours in a skybox eating and drinking whilst people in the city below are starving.  We murder children both born and unborn for convince.  When we murder the unborn and call it good we echo Milton so clearly.  I realize I have put a very fine point on this but it is where I stand.  I do not hate anyone involved but I hate the act.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

When Batman is confronting his anger over the loss of life he posits this, “He has the power to wipe out the entire human race, and if we believe there's even a one percent chance that he is our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty... and we have to destroy him.”

He does not see how much Superman risked to save humanity from HIS OWN PEOPLE.  Batman has walked away from his conciliator, his conscience.   He ignores Alfred’s statement “He is not our enemy.”   Alfred also reminds us that anger is the path to darkness, “That's how it starts; the fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men... cruel.”

The Dark Knight chooses the path that leads to darkness.  His anger and fear lead him.  This is something the Batman with whom I grew up would never do.  Once again we flaw our heroes to reflect our own character.  The rejection of Superman is akin to our rejection of Christ.

I see a great falling away from faith the troubles me.  We have claimed evil as our good and reject the God/man who did nothing but bring us hope.  As long as there is evil in the world there will be collateral damage.  What Christ promises is that he will work it all out to bring us back to good.  All he asks for is a little faith.  Like Superman we are not content to even give him that.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment