21 April 2016

What is Your (My) God - Work

Greetings Dear Reader,

Almost all of us have to work.  Too many of us work at jobs about which we are not passionate.  Some of us fortunate few get to work at jobs we love.  Then there are the ones who make work their god. 

For a time I was obsessed with work and making money.  It was perhaps the lowest point in my journey with Christ.  There were other extreme contributing factors but I still chose to make work my god for a time. 

I recently had dinner with a friend who has made his work is god.  During the meal he was more in touch with his phone and afterhours messages than our opportunity to catch up with each other.  As I listened to his interaction about work I realized that he did not cover anything that could not have waited.

We create the expectation that work can consume all our time or we have it created for us.  It is a choice we allow either way.  I have made the mental choice to hang up work when I leave.  There are rare times when it must bleed over into the non-working hours but I guard that carefully. 

We work too much in our culture.  Ir is not that work is not important but we devote too much of our energy to it.  We use too little of our allowed vacation time.  We devote too much of our energy to things that do not serve who we are. 

We are to work but we are also to celebrate, vacate, and rest.  The Father has given us the ability to work.  We must always do so in balance.  Whenever I am tempted to pursue money over good work or put work ahead of other obligations I remember my Grandfather’s example.  He worked when it was time to work and rested when it was time to rest.  When it comes to what we do for work he also had some great wisdom.  “Do what you love and the money will come.”   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment