29 April 2016

The Conversations In My Head – I’ll Tell You What You Are Thinking

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the most dire aspects of the conversations in our heads is that of holding the conversation for both people in a discussion.  We presume what others will say and impose it upon them.  We complete their thoughts even before they have so done and judge them on our assumptions of their minds.

When explained in this way it seems ridiculous that we would do such.  We, however, do just this.  We assume what others are thinking thus robbing them of the opportunity to do it on their own. 

The dire loss in this is that of the opportunity to hear what others have to say.  We judge and condemn based on our inner conversation.  We grow angry over things we imagine others to think.  We lose the opportunity to hear what may be different from our imaginations. 

We also lose understanding when in this place.  We fail to see someone as he is in the moment and instead see him as we assume he is.  We use our past experience to pre-determine the future.  We use our own thinking to build the person we think someone to be and reject him before he can speak.

Since I am to treat others as I wish to be treated then I must not do this.  I must listen with my heart.  I must let others speak and be true to who they are.  I must risk this in order to really see. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment