19 September 2011

From Dirges to Anthems


Greetings Dear Reader,

For many years there has been a song that reflects deeply how I feel about myself when I am struggling.  Recently I have been reviewing how I feel about this mindset and trying to handle the feelings honestly without embracing the co-requisite self-pity.  I listened to the song several times with the lyrics in front of me discerning what is genuine expression for me and what is my pride crying out for recognition.  In my analysis I mean no disrespect for the artist.  The song is beautifully sad and I will never know what his heart was expressing.  For me, however, the dirge is becoming an anthem of what I should be moving toward and in some cases what I should realize I never do.

The song is Scarecrow’sDream by Dan Fogelberg.   Dan has moved on down the path and I miss his music that could yet be made.  He is one of the few artists for whom I have regard for every one on his songs.  I will provide all the lyrics below and then spend a few days sharing my thoughts about them.  This is a growth process for me and perhaps it will provide some insight for you.

Seldom seen a scarecrow's dream
I hang in the hopes of replacement
Castles tall, I built them all
But I dream that I'm trapped in the basement

And if you ever hear me calling out
And if you've been by paupers crowned
Between the worlds of men and make-believe I can be found

Plans I've made
A masquerade fading in fear of the coming day
Heroes' tales like nightingales
Wrestle the wind as they run away

And if you ever hear them calling out
And if you've been by paupers crowned
Between the worlds of men and make-believe I can be found

Garden gate
An empty plate waiting for someone to come and fill
Scarecrow's dreams like frozen streams
Thirst for the thaw but they're running still

And if you ever hear them calling out
And if you've been by paupers crowned
Between the worlds of men and make-believe I can be found

Some of the lyrics here are spot on for what I should become as a follower of Christ.  Some of them I have embraced in vanity and need to retool my own thinking.  I will begin with the first two lines.

Seldom seen a scarecrow's dream
I hang in the hopes of replacement

I used to think of this mournfully.  I used to; in times of heartache ponder how much I felt like I was unnoticed and insignificant.   What I need to consider is that it is I that should be unseen and that it is Christ who should be seen.  It is pride that makes us wish we were seen.  It is Christ whom I need to reflect and it is he that “must increase and I must decrease.” 

In the same vein I wish so much to change how life revolves around me when what I must do is realize that nothing revolves around me.  In every area of my life I should move toward replacement of self with likeness of Christ.  I am so easily drawn into my own self-importance.  What I need to constantly focus on is how I am replacing my fallen self with likeness of Christ. 

I need to be “seldom seen” and it needs to be true because of my reflection of who Christ is and his love for others.  I need to be replaced by all the beauty and grace that is available in Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn         
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."



                      

No comments:

Post a Comment