13 September 2011

Morning Embers


Greetings Dear Reader,

It began as a curiosity.  I used to have great skills with fire.  I banked the fire in the fire pit the night we had it.  For those who do not know about this it is the simple act of putting enough ash around the exiting coals so that they breathe very slowly and last the night.  When done properly you have coals the next morning that you can gently feed into a blaze to warm others and prepare breakfast.

I went out early in the morning to see if I had been successful.  To my joy I found a few coals winking red ripples beneath a thin sheen of ash.  I gathered a few twigs and some dried grass from the recently cut lawn.  In just a few moments I had an excellent blaze going.  I only fed it enough to know that I could build a good fire from my banked coals so I left it to fade away.

It was very satisfying that I still had the skill and I took a moment to ponder how little it takes to create a great blaze.  I know that I am this way.  There are embers of good things that I used to do or be that still smolder in me.  They sometimes wink to get my attention.  Any number of them I would gladly return to a blaze but time and sometimes fear prevent me.

I usually choose something new to learn or do each year.  I think that this coming year I may reacquaint my life with some past things that I love and miss.  Embers will not last forever and I do not wish to squander the excellent ones.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment