01 June 2012

Startling Contrast – Baseball Weather


Greetings Dear Reader,

It is June 1st as I write this.  The temperature is forty-five degrees and the sky is cloudy.  I still, however, feel the pull of slight sun burn on my face and perhaps a touch of windburn.  I spent last evening in the chill air of the last night of May watching the Madison Mallards duel the Battle Creek Bombers.  It was my daughter Christmas’ first real baseball game.

The Duck Pond
I have not attended much early season baseball since moving to the northern Midwest.  This means that my impression of baseball in late May is hot, humid, and sun dried.  I am used to emerging from the final inning parched and almost dry enough to put by.  Last night I actually wore a winter coat to a baseball game.  It amazed me to see those around me bundled in blankets and bonnets.  Other things that were a contrast to my mind were watching the efforts of the players to keep warm and the comfort of the mascot, Maynard in his oversized duck suit.

Amidst all of these occlusions to my understanding of baseball in early summer was a constant.  The pitcher, Mills struck out thirteen batters.  The game offered exciting play almost every inning.  The food was bad for me and delicious.  It was baseball at its finest.  As is my custom I took time during the seventh inning stretch to thank God for baseball.  I thanked him for the cool night and the lack of mosquitoes and yellow jackets.  I thanked him for the organizer at the park who made my Daughter’s first baseball experience that much more special.  I thank God for the Grandfather who instilled the love of the game for me.

The weekend will be cool and rainy.  I still feel the pinched feeling in my face as it sheds the heat of the frigid sunset from last night.  I look forward to my next game.  I look forward to sharing the time and tradition with my children.  In late June I will take my Grandson to his first baseball game and that will be a beautiful thing. 

I do not think that God plays favorites in sports.  I think that is something that would be outside of his character.  I do, however, think that he loves baseball.  I know that he loves it when my heart connects to his over the infinite possibilities held in the moment of each pitch.  It is the metaphor that keeps my life doggedly following his.  For the summer I have found a seat of worship and praise with will help me remember some of the elements of following Christ more deeply.  It is a good thing.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment