19 December 2013

Advent – A Week of Sundays – My Enemy, My Friend

Greetings Dear Reader,

Since one of the ultimate goals of the incarnation of Christ is God’s desire for peace one cannot ponder the joy of Advent without pondering one’s enemies.  God is clear that we are to love our enemies.  I try to have as few of them as possible.  Loving those who are considered an enemy is the first step toward peace on earth.

In A Little Book of Christmas Joys number 209 simply states “Make a friend of an enemy this Christmas.”  Imagine if we made the effort to do this.  What a difference we could make in the world if we simple chose to love our enemies.  Everything about the incarnation is God seeking to reconcile us to a sound relationship with him.  He loves us even though we created the enmity that exists between us.

I know that when I create peace with someone who views me as an enemy it gives me great joy.  Someone has to make the first move.  It is clear that the move is put squarely on the shoulders of those who wish to follow Christ.   I must love my enemy.  This is not a passive thing.  It is a required action that must be bathed in the hope of reconciliation of things to God.

“Peach on earth and good will toward men” are not just great words for a Christmas card.  They are a call to act.  They are the good tidings of great joy that we need to embrace.  I must act to nullify the enemies I have by loving them and making peace with them.  This is at the heart of seeing the joy that is present in the Advent of Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."



No comments:

Post a Comment