30 December 2013

The Real Twelve Days of Christmas – The Holy Family

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

I have much pondered the family of Jesus.  As I celebrate the sixth day of Christmas my family is traveling back from being away.  I love my Sons so dearly and every time I think about Joseph and Mary I ponder what it must be like to know that your Son is the one on whom all the hope of humankind rests.  I realize that some of you will shake your head at my quaint theology but it is my theology.

Still to have traveled so far in such dangerous times when you are supposed to be birthing the Son of God seems so harsh.  At the heart of angelic announcements and cosmic portents is still the need to believe.  One must act in faith or the burden seems too great to carry.  How often did this couple need to reassure each other that what they believed was real and happening to them? 

In my mind I picture the three traveling in the wide world and the lack of understanding that world has.  It drives me to remember them daily.  I have a small pewter nativity that remains at my writing desk all year round.  I do not love Christmas because of the gifts and trappings.  I do enjoy those things.  My heart, however, finds compassion and hope in the faithfulness of this small family.

A carpenter and his betrothed, both descendants of David carried the promise in their hearts and then in their arms.  They were the ones who live the pinch in the hour glass.  They were the ones who risked everything from family rejection to political assassination to bring us the Son.  These were to people who accepted by faith that this baby had a destiny that all hoped for and feared. 

I agonize when my children feel hurt or frustrated.  I know that I love them with a fierce and terrible love.  I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it must have been for Joseph and Mary to know that their Son would face the ultimate pain of paying the price for the sins of us all.  I do not think I could have carried the burden and remained faithful to it.  On this sixth day of Christmas my thoughts are for this small family that is about to venture onto the world stage and the gratitude I have for their faith and obedience.

A Pauper’s Hymn – Aramis and Avalon

Trav'ling hard before a Sabbath sunset,
Cold the woman great with child.
Lonely taxed from Naz’reth wand' ring,
O’re Judea’s barren wild.
Homeless in a stable came the birth that night.
What could this weary woman bring?
Nothing less on earth than Heaven's Best;
A Savior, Redeemer, King

Men of the East with wisdom following
The star that heralds heaven's own
Christ the Savior come to ransom
Those who would choose Him to disown
Warned of the madness of a puppet king,
The child is safe in Egypt as he grows,
But in David's City the children die.
Rachel weeps for those she'll never know.

The decades pass,
The boy a man,
Condemned by hope and a lie,
Hanging cold upon a wind-swept hill,
Suspended between the worlds to die.
How long will you wait to embrace His gift?
Where else will you find harbor for your soul?
Than in the out-stretched arms of the Christmas babe,
Who ransomed your eternal soul.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment