27 December 2013

The Real Twelve Days of Christmas – Jesus’ Best Friend

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

The third day of Christmas is the celebration of the Apostle John.  He was it seems closest to Jesus of all the apostles.  He gave us the most tender of the Gospels and focuses on the love of Christ so richly in it and in his letters.  I am sure he would be saddened by the misuse of his writings in Revelation. 

The list of those that God calls his friends is short in the Bible.  What a beautiful thing it seems to me that one could pursue Christ enough to be his friend.  I know how much I value genuine friendship.  I have friends that I love dearly.  I do not see them or spend time with them as often as I should. 

One of the things that we can do is reach out to friends when we have down time.  I have had several communicate with me over the last week and it spurs me to do the same. 

Another aspect of following Christ for me is to assure that I am friendly to everyone.  This is not the same as true friendship but it equates with kindness that we are bound to share with everyone.  I can be a friend to complete strangers when they have need.  I must be willing to show that kindness and love that are so seminal to the Gospel. 

I do not need to venerate John by praying to him or lighting candles for him.  I can honor him by being kind to others and good to my friends.  I can follow the example he shared in his Gospel by being a friend to the Son.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment