01 December 2013

Advent – A Week of Sundays – The Shepherd

Greetings Dear Reader,

Advent comes from the Latin for “coming”.  The celebration of Advent is a journey toward Christmas Eve with a mind towards being prepared for the coming of Christ.  The first candle of the Advent wreath is the shepherd’s candle.

Christ comes as our good shepherd.  He comes to protect and guide us.  He comes to move us into places where he can provide and nourish us.  This first week of Advent I will be pondering what it is that Christ does to provide for me.  Even when I cannot see the way or the answer he has all the protection, guidance, and provision I need.

I must follow.  I must hear the voice of the shepherd.  Christ makes it very clear that as his followers he knows us individually and that we can know his voice and trust his guidance.  The Advent of Christ is not something that just happened.  It is something I can experience in every moment if I follow. 

As I step into each moment of my life journey I can listen for the voice of Christ and follow his leading. I do not mean for this to sound overly mystical.  There is a mystical aspect to it but that is not the point.  I follow in faith and love.  Are not those two things mystical of their own accord?

So much of following Christ is dependent upon my willingness to listen and follow.  I see others who object to things be based on faith and trust.  God makes it clear that we cannot please him without faith.  As I consider the aspect of the shepherd I must consider that the sheep follow.  They do so out of faith and trust. If I am to see Christ I must be humble enough to follow in faith.


Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment