12 March 2015

Second Thoughts – Guards! Guards!

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

When Death rides up to you, catches you in the moment, or sidles idly up to your door, he gets your attention.  It is his mission and he is not easily deterred.  He has been, of late, collecting people I admire and/or are dear to me. 

Today Death plied his trade with one of my five favorite authors.  After a noble battle with early onset Alzheimer’s disease Sir Terry Pratchett passed away today.  This loss is one of those that has lingered on the horizon for several years.  It is odd how the impending arrival of Death does not make his visits any easier.

The Disc World novels are ones I can read over and over.  There is wit, humor, and the chance to see what is wonderful about life in these tales.  Now there will be no news stories of Ankh Morpork or the Ramtop Mountains.  The Night Watch will fall silent and the Hogfather will visit only in our memories. 

Death will continue to visit.  He will arrive as he pleases and collect those he needs.  More and more often he will come for my peers and loved ones who are my contemporaries.  I love and respect Terry Pratchett.  I already miss his work and now I miss him. 

This loss of an artist in my craft reminds me that I am moving down the same path.  The loss of someone of such wit makes the world a sadder place.  The loss of anyone diminishes me.   So I raise a glass to a man who enriched me.  I raise song with rocks in it to his honor.  I search the sad faces of the residents of Discworld as they lose their Creator and I see in them an eternal testimony to his benevolence and love. 

Thank you Sir Terry Pratchett for touching my life and reminding me not to take anything too seriously.  We feel robbed of your presence and your stories.  But in your own words, “Death isn’t cruel – He is merely terribly terribly good at his job.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)


No comments:

Post a Comment