04 March 2015

The Boundaries of Faith – What God Cannot Do

Greetings Dear Reader,

Close your eyes for a moment Dear Reader and finish this sentence in your head: “I will not believe in a God who would…”

I have heard this often and it always perplexes me.  We set up a standard for God.  It is a predetermined failure on his part.  In most cases it is something for which man not God is responsible.  It is more likely a justification to set a boundary on faith that we have already abandoned.

If I do not take an honest view of who God is then I will limit my trust in him.  If I proceed from the assumption that this or that event precludes the existence of God then I have not taken an on honest look at who God is.  The other factor in this statement is that it is an act of will. 

We choose what we believe.  We determine what we believe about God.  We assign him blame much more often that we give him credit.  God gave us free will so he cannot force us to believe.  He wants us to believe because he knows that life is better if we follow in faith.

Dishonesty in our presumptions leads to false conclusions.  By making a condition on which we will believe we create a space in which we feel free to deny faith.  That is always a dangerous thing when dealing with time and eternity. 

If I am to have real faith that grows deeper and richer I must abandon barriers and boundaries.  I must not set up false limitations based on my private preferences.  Faith requires honesty.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment