06 April 2015

Talismans - Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I do not want you to think Dear Reader that I have gone madder than I already am.  I do not believe that objects hold magic power in the literal sense of the meaning.  I do, however, believe that we impart power both good and bad to lifeless things. 

Templar Talisman -Maltese Cross
This proceeds from the premise that so much of what we do begins in the mind.  How we think gives birth to most of what we do.  God tells us that we are what we think.  Thomas Traherne observed that “to think well is to serve God in the interior court.”

In light of that we do create talismans related to our faith and following.  There are objects that we carry along the journey that reflect what we think about differing aspects of life.  Those who believe and those who do not reflect what they think in the talismans they revere.

The most obvious one for Christ followers is the cross.  At some point it became simply jewelry to many who do not follow Jesus.  The cross does not have any power as a piece of metal or wood.  We assign it power because of the story of redemption.  It is not the cross that has power but the faith behind it.   

I am going to pull a few of the talismans that I carry out to share with you.  It is the time of year where I try to lighten my pack so I am reviewing what I carry to see what can be left behind.  To many those things that I carry would seem like useless weight.  For me they are reminders of how I should think.  I have left some behind over time as the need for them has passed.

I must assure that the talismans I carry communicate Christ to me.  They must remind me how to think about certain things.  They must not be idols or anchors to faithlessness.  They must be things that make me a better man by reminding me to think well.  They must be talismans with the power to help me follow Christ more closely.  Walk with me if you will Dear Reader and I will share some stories of my journey.


They grew tired of bread form heaven
And of Moses and of God
They longed to live the life of slavery once again
So they muttered and they grumbled
And they wimpered and they whined;
With each faithless word, sank deeper into sin

He took the pen of pain once more
To write upon their hearts
The lesson they had been so slow to learn
But writing in the sand, the firey serpents came to call
With a holy message and a bite that burned

Lift up the suffering symbol
And place it high upon a pole
Tell the children to look up and be made whole

So Moses made a metal snake,
And nailed it to a pole
Sent out the saving word so they would know
That the symbol of their suffering was now the focus of their faith
and with a faithful glance, the healing power would flow

In time the brazen serpent became an idol in the land
And they left the living God to worship clay
When they forgot their suffering
Soon true faith had disappeared
So some idolize a brazen cross today

Lift up the suffering symbol
And place it high upon a pole
Tell the children to look up and be made whole

Tell the children to look up and be made

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment