16 April 2015

Talismans – Two Boxes

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have two boxes where I keep my most sacred talismans.  One is made of teak and comes from Hawaii.  The other is made of cedar and is a model of the Ark of the Covenant created by one of my students and gifted to me.  These boxes are precious to me on their own.

Their contents are priceless.  The ark holds some small pieces of granite that were the first gift my eldest Son ever gave me.  It also holds a note from when he asked me to pray for him to find a friend at school.  The note reads, “Thanks for praying dad.  I found a friend today.”

The teak box holds a few precious memories from my childhood.  There are the awards I won at summer camp.  Also are the archery medals I earned in competitive shooting.  My Sons were witness to the culmination of that skill at the Renaissance Festival in Atlanta. It is a reminder to me that hours of practice at something can yield unexpected and legendary results.  We will revisit that further down the path.

 If anyone else were to look into these two boxes they would not comprehend the value.  On two occasions I have shared their contents with someone I love and trust.  Neither of them got it.  So much of what is there seems mundane to others.  It is the power these things have to evoke sacred memories that makes them such powerful talismans.

When the moments drift through the pinch of the glass we either seize them or let them go.  Rarely some of them hold great portent.  It is not enough to seize the day.  If we do not live in every moment we may miss the most precious ones.    We might discard the ticket stub from the first time we took our Son to see Jethro Tull.  We might not have the tie tack where your Sons first proclaimed you a great dad. 

Living in the moment for me is being always aware that none of them are mundane to God.  If I am a man of faith then I must agree with this and live it.  Soon enough and much too soon the sand in the bottom of the glass is greater than that in the top.  We long to have some of them back but gravity and time laugh at us.

So I ponder these most precious talismans. I long to create more moments and memories for my Children, Grandchildren, and friends before I am out of sand.  In the rush of this passion play I have been given by God, I must carpe’ momenta omnem.  I must seize every moment.

A Week Moments – Ian Anderson

A week of moments a clutch of days
Ten thousand minutes of a Passion Play.
Medley of quavers informs the tune.
It’s all too much: over all too soon.

Sweet condensation on chilling wine
Travelers palm, flamboyant tree
Fast photos ripped and lost consign
A week of moments to faint memory.

A week of moments plucked from the page
Found far horizons, a sunset stage.
Suitcases bulge, in silence packed
A chapter closed: no looking back.

The lightest touch upon my arm
No fierce restraint, no call to stay.
Hushed room maids glide like pawns to king
With pool attendants in chess piece array.

A week of moments a clutch of days
Ten thousand minutes of a Passion Play.
Medley of quavers informs the tune.
It’s all too much: over all too soon.

Sweet condensation on chilling wine
Travelers palm, flamboyant tree
Fast photos ripped and lost consign
A week of moments to faint memory.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment