22 April 2015

The Clauses in our thoughts – Lust

Greetings Dear Reader,

Realizing that for much of our culture this word “lust” no longer is negative it may seem odd that I address it.  First I would qualify the area in which I address this.  In most instances we associate this word with sex.  We need to associate it with a much broader range of thoughts.

We use words like craving, hunger, and hankering to soften the point.  It is the nature of our human condition to minimize things that are wrong.  Lust is a sin completely housed in our minds.  It leads to other failings but it is a cancerous thought bubble that wishes to permeate our entire lives.

I do not want to ignore the sexual aspect of lust.  An honest man must say that it is a daily battle to burst the thought bubbles implanted by our culture’s treatment of the female form.  We use lust to sell nearly everything.  I do not want to leave women out of the conversation.  Society is giving them equal time in this arena but as a male I must look to my own failings and struggles before I dare address those of others.

It is one of those places where a disciplined mind is necessary just to get through the day.  Bringing our thoughts into captivity is the only path to freedom from this form of lust. I do not wish to neglect the others areas where I must defend against lust.  The lust for food leads to gluttony.  A lust for control leads to manipulation.  The lust for control also yields lies, unfaithfulness, and betrayal.  We can even lust for a form of freedom that is not ours to pursue.  This lust leads to the breaking of commitments and vows.

These particular clauses in our thoughts betray us as quickly as possible.  Their purpose is to distract us from our intent.  We can instantly go from our actual intent to improper cravings as a single thought bubble bursts over our mind.  It is only by moment by moment determining to think well that we can defend against this.  If I fill my mind with the things that Christ values then the thought bubbles of distraction are easier to reject.

The results are what matter.  If I control my thinking about women then I see them as humans with genuine talents, gifts and needs.  I see their intrinsic value instead of a place to get my desires met.  If I control my lust for food I am healthier.  I see the needs of others in want of food more clearly.  I am more thankful for what I have.  My lust to control is alone controlled by realizing that control over anything but my own thinking is a lie. 
That is the crux of it.  The thought bubbles of lust for anything are offering a lie in place of the truth.  They are offering to satisfy with a counterfeit of reality.  Nothing but truth will satisfy the mind.  I must avoid the counterfeit thought bubbles and think well.  In this is the path to truly following Christ. 


Waking up to a very different world
We got mud on our flag before it’s even been unfurled
Our heroes have fallen and a leader is heard to find
The clock is running out and we’re casting our pearls before swine

There’s a whole lot more than preaching to the choir
Kneeling at the alter and paying our tithe
We've been treating God like he’s happiness for hire
We’ve been playing marbles with diamonds

Isn’t it a sin how his name how his name gets thrown around
We pat God on the back like a buddy from out of town
We thank “the man upstairs” for the things people praise us for
We give God the glory but we’re happy to take the award

There’s a whole lot more than raising lots of money
Building our churches and spreading our faith
If faith is just the dice you roll to get lucky
We've been playing marbles with diamonds

There are precious things of God
And we must guard them with our lives
Like an unborn baby’s dreams
Like a husband love his wife

May the hope of his returning
May it glorify our faith
As we hold onto his holy word
May the chaff be blown away

Can we ever live up to the things we say we believe
Because the world is watching looking for some honesty
Are we riding down a freeway instead of narrow road
We turned the passion for the lost into the business of saving souls

There’s a whole lot more than preaching to the choir
Kneeling at the alter and paying our tithe
We’ve been treating God like he’s happiness for hire
We’ve been playing marbles with diamonds

There’s a whole lot more than raising lots of money
Building our churches and spread
If faith is just the dice you roll to get lucky
We've been playing marbles with diamonds.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment