25 February 2018

On Guns and Their Control ~ Closing Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Reading, writing, and listening to your thoughts on this has taught me a great deal Dear Reader.   Remember that I am not a violent person.  Still I am also aware that we live in a violent world.  I have dear friends along the entire spectrum of this discussion.  I love and respect them all.

I think the deepest lesson I have learned is that we are all far too afraid.  We fear what might happen so we do things.  We fear shootings so we want to limit guns.  We fear loss of freedom so we wish to be armed.  We have become a society driven by what we fear.

I wrote quite a few years ago about how I think that all wrong that we do is attached to our fear in some way.  We are afraid so we do things that are wrong to shield ourselves from what we fear.  We let fear guide and control us. 

So how can I be a person that does not live in fear?  First, I need to understand what destroys or removes fear.  There is an answer for this.  “Perfect love casts out fear.”  Since I am required to love everyone, if I am perfecting that love then my fear will be cast out by it.  I realize that this sounds puerile and simple.  That does not make it untrue. 

I know that a thousand situational arguments leap to mind of what might happen.  I am required to live beyond those thoughts.  We all are.  We cannot find peace and build a better tomorrow if our reactions are based on what we fear.  We cannot build a healthy world based on fear, lacking love. 

I am not allowed to harm anyone.  I am also not allowed to tell others how to live.  I can live out an example.  I can show you love and kindness when we are together no matter how I think or feel.  I cannot stop someone intent on evil.  I cannot control anything no matter how much I believe I can.  I can follow Christ with all my heart and work toward justice and peace for others.  I can do whatever it takes to show love for others.

This has been hard for me.  I hate it when any human is harmed by another.  There is so much discord and hatred in the world.  As I move on to other things the conclusion for me is the same.  No laws or freedoms will solve the problems we have until we admit that we are the problem.  We need a daily overhaul of our thinking.  Thank you for your company and spirited debate Dear Reader.  As always it is precious to me and teaches me much.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment