01 February 2018

You Call Yourself A “Christian” ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Some years ago, I stopped calling myself a “Christian”.  I still follow Christ and believe the same things.  I still wish for others to see Christ in my life.  I still believe that he is all that he claimed to be as both God and man.  I no longer feel that this word, “Christian”, communicates what I wish it to communicate.

This begs the question in my mind of what it means to call oneself a “Christian”.  The word was first used of those who follow Christ in the city of Antioch.  It has had a good run as words go.  The problem is that it is used of many who do not believe or more importantly do not live as Christ requires his followers to live. 

Before I go further let me also be clear that I am not the standard for what a Christ follower should be like.  I fail.  I falter.  I fall.  I am still working it all out to the best of my ability.  I do not, however, have to be the best to know what better looks like.  I need not be perfect to seek to perfect my following.

I must, from time-to-time work through what it means to follow Christ.  I do not mean the particulars or peculiarities of this denomination or that sect that calls itself “Christian”.  What I do mean is the requirements to say that I am honestly following Christ.  What are the standards that should, or better must define anyone who claims to follow Christ? 

I would surely value your companionship as I allow these thoughts to dance through my mind and out my fingers.  Your company, Dear Reader makes me more committed to get it right.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

5 comments:

  1. An interesting thought. I have a Jewish friend who posted something that Don Jr. posted on Twitter, that if people loved Jesus they would clap for his dad (I guess during the SOTU). I posted something along the lines of, "I am a Christian, but..." because I see in the Christians today a movement away from the "traditional" American Bible Belt Christianity. I'm sure there are a lot of factors in this and it could be defined even more (I'm sure a whole paper could be written on it.) But John Pavlovich, a former pastor, is seemingly spearheading this movement to walk away from these values that are not Christlike, such as not wanting to care for the poor, ("Get a job!), or discriminating against LGBTQ+ or others who are "sinful," etc. Honestly I hope this movement makes some changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we need to be aware, and make a priority the social issues with which we grapple. We must do that without abandoning the clarity that following Christ is not a wide road. Wrong is still wrong and we must not do wrong in the name of being "Christian". Neither must we abandon doing right for the sake of appeasing what is socially acceptable. It is very difficult and only become easier if we do so in humility and love.

      Delete
  2. Not sure of whom or what man is qualified to determine what exactly is required to be a follower or to know other men's hearts. It was always my understanding that a person's place in heaven couldn't be earned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one can determine if I follow Christ or not. Outwardly though, those who do Christ are to be an example of following by obeying what Christ commanded us to become. We cannot earn favor with God in God's eyes but we can show the hands and feet of the Gospel to humans.

      Delete
  3. Couldn't be determined by others!

    ReplyDelete